To see your world in a grain of sand and Heaven in a wild flower.

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand and Eternity in an hour.

Welcome to the music of my musings, to the humble corner of my reminiscences and the account of my wanderings. Partake of my smiles and sighs and share yours in return.


































































































































































































































































































































































































Wednesday 30 May 2012

Humpty-Dumpty Sat on a Bhawl





Anyone who has moved out of the nest knows this familiar peeve. The food back home ... those hot, comforting meals our mother's spoil us on. Why oh why did we grow up ???  And then add to that when you move to a place on the far other end of your gastronomically ... and even otherwise diverse country what do you get ?


Kolkata is a city not for the average Mumbaikar, you know one who has a slick routine, fast paced approach to life and living. Kolkata is all endless cups of coffee on weekday afternoons discussing Tagore and Mamata didi. They even take afternoon naps. And BTW, not to scare you but the shops are closed in the afternoons because the summers here compete with Rajasthan. If you think it's all because of that ... C - word .. I digress. Bengalis will NEVER stop being the slow, leisure lovers who frustrate anyone who comes here to work from a metropolitan like Mumbai.


I will tell you why. Before I elaborate here's a sneak peek at my meal








No, you are not hallucinating. A pile of french fries, a lump of mashed potatoes, a potato subji called aaloo poshto with a gigantic mound of rice.


No Carbs Left Behind !!!


To think my mother worries I am malnourished ( well, I sort of am ) and starving. I am more at a risk of turning into Humpty-Dumpty meets Mary Jane !!! Aaloo here, Aaloo there, Aaloos everywhere !!!


Breakfast - Deep fried puris or as they called Loochis with Potato Subji
Lunch - The meal above
Dinner - The meal above.


The average Bengali meal encapsulates perfectly the pace of Kolkata. Lots of starchy meals induced Aaraam SE work ethic. And I am on my way to a round face a-la Mamta Di courtesy my loving, motherly landlady  who feeds me the equivalent of a life's quota of potatoes !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment